Ian Mortenson, winner of the 4×400 relay at the Rider/Bolstorff Invitational
ST. PAUL, Minn. — Ian Mortensen (So./Shoreline, Wash./Shorecrest) won the javelin throw and the Knights’ entry into the 4×400-meter relay prevailed as the Carleton College men’s track and field team finished fourth out of eight teams at the Janis Rider/Doug Bolstorff Invitational hosted by Macalester College.
Mortenson fouled on his first javelin throw, but any of his next five attempts would have won the competition. In the end, his best throw was a season best at 51.98 meters (170 ft, 6 in).
In the 4×400 relay, Bridger Rives (Sr./Skiatook, Okla./Bishop Kelley), Josh Meier (Fy./Fort Dodge, Iowa/Fort Dodge), Alistair Pattison (So./St. Paul, Minn./Como Park), and Ethan Ash (So./Oakland, Calif./Head-Royce School) combined with a time of 3:27.39, the best for the Knights this season.
In addition to the two test wins, the Knights have finished second five times.
On the track, Oscar Christopher (Sr./Tacoma, Wash./Wilson) was the runner-up in the 200 meters with his time of 23.38, while Jeremy Fong (Jr./Saitama, Japan/Christian Academy) did the same with his time of 1:57.54 in the 800 meters. Meier added a second-place finish in the 1,500 meters with a new personal best of 4:07.52.
Aravindh Subramanian (Jr./Dayton, NJ/South Brunswick) finished second in the high jump after clearing 6 feet (1.83 meters) and Owen Schuster (Sr./Batavia, Ill./Batavia) took second place in the pole vault after clearing the bar set at 4.20 meters (13 feet, 9.25 inches), the highest he had reached in Carleton during away competitions.
The day also included eight other top 5 finishes:
• Rives placed third in the 400 meters with a time of 50.30.
• Riaz Kelly (So./St. Paul, Minn./St. Paul Central) and Ash took fourth and fifth place respectively in the 400 meters. The former did so with a collegiate best time of 50.93, while the latter crossed the line at 51.37.
• Mortenson demonstrated his ability to do it all with a third-place finish in the 110-metre hurdles at 16:46.
• Pattison finished fourth in the 400-metre hurdles with a time of 59.79.
• Carleton’s other competitor in the 4×400 relay clocked 4:33.63, good for third place.
• Ethan ClineCole (Fy./Inver Grove Heights, Minn./Trinity School) took third place in the high jump with a height of 1.68 meters.
• Tim Adams (Fy./Honolulu, Hawaii/Punahou School) finished fifth in the pole vault with a height of 3.60 meters.
To be continued for the knights
Carleton is scheduled to cruise across town to St. Olaf for the annual Rolex Classic on Tuesday, May 3. The Knights also have the Tommie Twilight on Wednesday, May 4 in addition to hosting the MIAC Decathlon/Heptathlon on May 5 and 6 at Laird Stadium.