Getir horseman stabbed by men in balaclavas in Primrose Hill

Raymond Johnson at Regent’s Park Road

A COURIER from the booming grocery delivery bike company Getir has said he feared for his life after he was stabbed by men in balaclavas while working in Primrose Hill.

Raymond Johnson was stabbed after being approached by two men in Regent’s Park Road.

He is now unable to work and pings Getir’s lack of communication since the incident.

Mr Johnson had completed a delivery to a house around 9.40pm on May 17 when he was asked to give his moped to the men.

When he refused, they stabbed him in the middle of the hand.

They escaped on e-bikes, one of which had a Stealth B-52 bomber that can reach 80 km/h (50 mph).

Mr Johnson fled on his scooter back to the company depot in Randolph Street, where he was met by police who took him to University College London Hospitals.

Mr Johnson’s bandaged hand

The 48-year-old is now recovering at his home in Chingford.

He said: “I tried to drive away and the only guy just stabbed me in the hand.

“I pushed the bike that had stopped in front of me and left. I feared for my life, I didn’t know if they were following me because these e-bikes can go quite fast.

He added: “There was blood running everywhere – it was all over my clothes. I ran red lights, told the police that but I was so scared and just wanted to get back to the depot. I was shocked. I thought “that’s it”, and what can you do but try to escape? I wondered if I should just try to run because they might catch me on the bike, but luckily they didn’t try.

Doctors told him he was lucky to pull through with five stitches, leaving in the early hours of Wednesday morning. But he needs to rest the injury – which means he won’t be able to get back on his moped any time soon.

Getir is one of the few courier companies that claims to consider workers as employees and pay a full-time salary. Unlike other competitors, such as Deliveroo and taxi companies including Uber, who also hire staff on an occasional basis.

On the evening of the incident, Getir’s health and safety manager went to the hospital to meet Mr Johnson and telephoned him the following morning. However, the promise of a follow-up call did not materialize and when Mr Johnson tried to call a Londonwide manager for the company he did not get a response.

The biker combines his job as a courier with shifts as a driver in the entertainment industry.

He says: “Before, I used to work five days a week, sometimes with Getir, to earn money, but the doctors told me to rest for three to four months. I can’t lift heavy objects because the risk is that something will happen to my hand, damage my tendons and it will be even more serious.

“I cannot know from Getir what money I will receive. Compensation, or sick pay, or something like that. I need to bring some money, and if I can’t work, I’m afraid I can’t. The doctor said I was lucky that I didn’t lose the use of my hand. I’m lucky they missed all the tendons.

His injury after the attack

Getir, which promises “groceries in minutes”, first appeared on the streets of London last year and is known for its eye-catching purple and yellow e-mopeds.

He added visibility after securing a training kit sponsorship deal with Spurs. The Turkey-based company initially hired workers under self-employed status, but is now classified as a worker and enjoys certain benefits, including legal salary, sick leave and vacation.

Mr. Johnson has worked for them for four months. In response, a Getir spokeswoman said employees have full-time contracts and full pay is calculated on the number of hours in the contract.

Mr Johnson said he thought bikes should have some sort of ‘panic button’ to alert staff that a cyclist needs help.

He added that during his induction, Getir officials did not mention any compensation but believe they have insurance for the runners.

“All they’re saying is ‘we’ll take care of you, we care about you,'” he said. “But they don’t care about you at all.

“I think I was mistreated by them. They should at least provide me with some support. I am now very nervous to go out at night, it is still very new. The police were brilliant and took statements from the scene and stayed with me, I’m really grateful.

The Metropolitan Police said they could not find the incident in their logs.

A spokeswoman for Getir said: “Following the attack on one of our couriers on May 18, we have been working with the police to identify those responsible. We have also been in regular contact with our courier, both while he was in hospital and since his return home, to support him following this incident.

“As an employee of Getir, he continues to be fully paid while he recovers from his injuries. We will continue to ensure that he receives the necessary support and assistance during his full recovery.

Earnest L. Veasey